Scopes are the magnifying devices mounted on top of the rifle for better accuracy of shooting. People find it difficult mounting rifle scopes, but a few simple steps can make it pretty easy.
- Selecting the right scope: It is very important to select the right scope for your rifle. A rifle can attain a particular distance and the scope should not magnify beyond that distance. You will not be able to calculate the distance correctly. It is always better to go through the technical manual given with the rifle.
- Mounting equipment is important: Rifle scopes are supplied with suitable mounting equipment. It consists of rings and base plates. They are according to the specifications of the rifle e.g. scope tube diameter and front objective. It can’t be interchanged with other models.
The mounting process
As the first step, you must ensure the safety. Make sure that the rifle is not loaded. Keep the fingers away from the trigger. Place the gun in a gun vice while you fix the scope on it. In case vice is not available, then use sand bags to place it safely.
- You are required to remove the plug screws before placing the base. Clean the area using good quality degreaser and apply rust inhibitor. This would keep the screws rust free and you will be able to open them easily next time.
- Place the base plate following the instructions from the instruction manual. It is important to read the instructions carefully as the instructions vary with the models. Check that the mount is placed correctly before tightening it completely. Some people prefer applying thread locking compound to prevent unscrewing it in the future.
- Attach the rear and front scope rings according to the instructions. Alignment bars are given along with a few models. Place the rings on the alignment bars and move until they reach to the middle point. Align the points on the bars horizontally and vertically. In the models where alignment bar is not supplied, windage screw is used.
- Tighten the screws properly with the base plate after reading the torque specification.
- Remove the ring caps and place them together without changing the order, otherwise it will change the precision. Fix the scope in the rings. Make sure that the elevation turret is upwards and the windage turret is at the right hand side of the gun.
- Use the level to correct the alignment of the scope. Check the level from the front, top and left side. Ensure that the crosshairs are leveled precisely.
- Check the view through the eye piece. Determine the field of vision. Full field of view should be visible to you without moving the head. Check the scope and slide it back and forth until you establish correct field of vision.
- Tighten the scope rings by fastening all the screws in a round-robin manner. Fastening a single screw completely may damage the riflescopes.
Mounting rifle scopes requires concentration and dedicated efforts. Correctly mounted riflescopes give fabulous accuracy!